Monday, July 11, 2011

July 11, 2011



Hey Hey Hey!
Guess what Mom!? yes I did play in sacrament meeting. but not for the sacrament hymn because I had to lead while Elder Huston broke the bread. Then I jumped over and he blessed then I passed. It was way different! haha Elder Huston was presiding so I gave him the bread first! gotta love the mission! haha So yes. Sunday it was just me and Elder Huston. Juan got back from EFY in Buenos Aires Saturday but hes pretty sick. President Stephens gets back from the states tomorrow. President Heaton will even be here on sunday for the disciplinary council. We have been having soccer on Saturday afternoons for all the youth and their friends, and then after soccer we bring them in the church and teach a lesson. 4 non member youth came to church on Sunday! And the coolest part was the members brought them without us even asking them to! Members are golden in missionary work! are you doing your part? oooo...now your thinking arent you..haha
This week was pretty cool. We had a lesson with Jorge, and he never fails to impress me. This week we came to his door and the first thing he said was "DID YOU BRING IT!?" Elder Huston knew what he was talking about and we turned around and came back with a tithing envelope. I guess he had asked Elder Huston at church last sunday to stop by with a tithing envelope to help him fill it out and stuff. This man is really poor, really sick, really new in the church, but his faith and diligence is so inspiring! He is one of the VERY few tithe payers in the branch, and his nicest posesion is probably his MATE. haha. what a man! we asked him if he knew why we pay tithing and what it goes to. He said no, but that President Cabrera from the District presidency spoke on sunday about how it was a really important commandment, and that he wanted to obey all the commandments. We explained that the money goes to building churches, missionary work and things like that. I was just so impressed with his faith and desire to fulfill his baptismal covenants. After that lesson, Elder Huston and I almost at the exact same said hey Jorge can we get a picture with you? He may be really dirty and old and poor, but he is a bigger hero to me than any celebrity or sports star. Reminds me of a scripture I was reading today in 3 Nephi 13
  1. 19 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and thieves break through and steal;
  2. 20 But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal.
  3. 21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
Another kinda awesome experience more on the funny side, we were bringing a bunch of youth to the church for a lesson on Saturday and a little van-bus thing was parked on the street on the way. All of the sudden like 4 kids ran out and started coming with us and like hugging me and Elder Huston. I recognized them as grandkids of a family in the branch that come to church pretty often. A lady comes out of the bus with like a nice suit on and calls them back. I had no idea who they were but we told the kids they should probably be with them if thats where their parents thought they were. Turns out it was another church! The kids were like fighting to come with us and almost crying, like grabbing our legs begging us to let them come with us. It was SO AWKWARD!!!! haha look! they obviously like our church better lady! haha no...but its cool how even little kids know whats up.
Yes, I am getting used to the season changes. I feel like im 100% used to living in Uruguay now. Not excited for summer to come though! I hope im in the south for the summer! Its starting to warm up a little this week. Its a perfect day today!
So we talked to the post office in Cardona, turns out that package is probably headed back your way. I think they are sending back anything that gets here. so if anyone reading this is planning on sending a letter. hold it for a little. or just send it through the mission email adress. urugoest@gmail.com so frustrating and a real bummer!
Yes MOM! I should have kept going with piano! It was awesome to hear about Oregon!
Its been rough in Cardona with the work. I have a great companion but sometimes he just doesnt have the excitement, the drive. He is such a great guy though! I want to help him get more excited about the mission and the work but its so hard. Our numbers are horrible. I feel like I teach all the lessons. I pray hard for help, for patience. Any advice? Elder Huston is still a stud though! His Dad played BYU football! His Grandpa was the BYU basketball coach that had cancer! He is a professional mountain biker and is a awesome guy!
I want to see pictures from Oregon!
Well, I gotta go.
Take care! Love you guys!
Elder Kellis

No comments:

Post a Comment